Below are resources that may be helpful for your writing centre and writing centre practice.
Suggest additions to this page! Contact the CWCA/ACCR Digital Media Chair.
Starting a centre
- How to Start a University Writing Centre (from the Academic Writing Centre at Copenhagen University)
- How to Start and Run a Writing Center With No Budget, or How We Did the Impossible!
- International Writing Centers Association (IWCA) Resources
- IWCA Position Statements
The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), of which the Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC) is a special interest group, produces position statements that can be helpful in developing mission and vision:
- NCTE Beliefs about the Students’ Right to Write
- CCCC Statement on Second Language Writing and Writers
- CCCC Statement on Preparing Teachers of College Writing
- NCTE Resolution on the Students’ Right to Their Own Language
Writing centre publications
- SKRIB: Critical Studies in Writing Programs and Pedagogy
- Discourse and Writing/Rédactologie (DW/R) (formerly the Canadian Journal for Studies in Discourse and Writing/Rédactologie)
- College Composition and Communication
- The Peer Review
- Praxis: A Writing Centre Journal
- Studies in Writing & Rhetoric (SWR) Series
- The Writing Center Journal
- Writing Lab Newsletter
- Canadian Writing Centre Review/ La revue Canadienne des centres de rédaction
- Connecting Writing Centers Across Borders
- The Dangling Modifier
- Another Word
Writing centre associations and affiliations
- Canadian Association for the Study of Discourse and Writing (CASDW)
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC, aka 4Cs)
- International Writing Centers Association (IWCA)
Writing centre bibliography
Bell, S., & Hotson, B. (2021). Where is the Support? Learning Support for Multimodal Digital Writing Assignments by Writing Centres in Canadian Higher Education. The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 12(1). https://doi.org/10.5206/cjsotlrcacea.2021.1.10780
Bromley, P. (2017). Locating Canadian writing centres: An empirical investigation. Canadian Journal for Studies in Discourse and Writing/Rédactologie, 27, 24–41. Retrieved from http://journals.sfu.ca/cjsdw
Graves, H. & Graves, R, eds. (2006). Writing centres, writing seminars, writing cultures: Writing instruction in Anglo-Canadian universities. Inkshed Publications, University of Manitoba: Winnipeg
Graves, R. (1994). Writing instruction in Canadian universities. Inkshed Publications, University of Manitoba.
McMurtrie, B. (2018). Future of learning: How colleges can transform the educational experience. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Writing centre training and policy manuals
- Saint Mary’s University writing centre policies and procedures
- York University Writing Centre Policy Book