I invite you to consider attending the 2016 National Conference on Peer Tutoring in Writing, which will be held in Tacoma, Washington USA, November 4-6, hosted by the University of Puget Sound. We will be offering three virtual sessions on Friday the 4th to facilitate presentations by peer tutors outside the US who aren’t able to attend the conference in person, as well as Twitter and Facebook posts. If you have ideas about other ways to foster more international collaboration, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The theme of the conference is “It’s for Everyone: The Inclusive Writing Center,” and we will explore the question of how we can more effectively serve all students, particularly those who may be otherwise marginalized by the academy. We especially welcome presentations (and posters and workshops) that consider linkages between the writing center and critical pedagogy, cultural competence, gender and sexuality, multilingualism, universal design, and interdisciplinarity. Questions for consideration may include but are not limited to the following:
• What role can writing centers play in recognizing and nurturing—rather than erasing—difference?
• In what ways do interpersonal dynamics in individual tutoring sessions relate to larger power relationships within the culture?
• How do directive and nondirective tutoring approaches interact with student identities? How do we decide when to offer and when to withhold information about prestige dialects and why?
• How might writing center pedagogy inform tutoring practices in the content areas?
• Given that most learning disabilities are invisible, how can writing centers use practices that are universally accessible to all learners?
The deadline for submitting proposals is April 15, 2016. More information on the conference is available at http://www.pugetsound.edu/ncptw2016. Please direct questions to Julie Christoph at email@example.com.
Julie Nelson Christoph | Professor of English and Director of the Center for Writing, Learning, and Teaching UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND
1500 N. Warner St. #1096
Tacoma, WA 98416-1096