Please join us for our second annual Canadian Writing Centres Conference which will be held at Brock University on May 23rd, 2014 in St. Catherine’s, Ontario. The conference immediately precedes the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences Annual Conference (CHSS) We will provide a welcoming environment for tutors, writing centre administrators, and instructors for discussions of writing centre practice, theory and research. In keeping with the theme of the CHSS Conference, Borders Without Boundaries, our theme is “Writing Without Borders”. We hope presenters will explore this theme in a variety of ways. Topics that derive from this theme could include but are not limited to:
- Writing support without hierarchical borders: undergraduate, post-graduate, staff, faculty and mature student support
- Writing support without disciplinary borders: responding to cross-disciplinary papers / writing in the disciplines & beyond the disciplines
- Writing support without cultural borders; writing support for multilingual & multi-dialect writers
- Communication without borders: writing support for multi-media assignments
- Writing without physical boundaries: using technology to respond to students’ writing; MOOCs and the Writing Centre.
Support for the supporters: training and professional development issues in the Writing Centre
Call for papers
”Proposals are invited from tutors, instructors, administrators and others interested in the teaching of writing. Proposals should in some way address the theme of writing without borders and/or one of the suggested topic areas. We welcome your proposal for one of three formats:
- Please plan for a 15-20 minute presentation to allow for discussion
- Workshops should be interactive and appeal to a wide audience
60-minute panel discussions
- Please submit your discussion topic along with names of presenters. If you are keen to discuss a topic but do not know others interested in leading a discussion on it, please let us know. We may be able to group people with similar topics.
To submit a proposal, please send the name of the proposed session, the session format,the name(s) and affiliation(s) of the presenter(s) and a 250-word proposal. Please specify any AV or room requirements. Please send proposals to email@example.com and inquiries to Liv Marken Liv.Marken@usask.ca. Proposals are due midnight PST on December 15th, 2013. Proposers will be notified of the status of their proposal by January 10th 2014.